Tuesday, March 9, 2010

defining yourself


During the first “patio lunch” of the spring season yesterday, my friend brought up an interesting topic, albeit random, as we were talking about her food allergies: Defining yourself.
What is it that makes us try to define ourselves and fit into one box/type of person? We subconsciously put restrictions on ourselves by attempting this unrealistic feat, and end up confused and weary in the process. I know I am guilty of this maybe more than anyone, but I just don’t know why this is.  I always find myself trying to pinpoint my personality and trying to explain that I’m “this type of person”, when many of my character traits are contradictory to that of which I’m trying to fit into.

And, guess what? It’s ok. Really, it is.

So, I think I’m done with trying to fit into just ONE box that limits my ideas, personality, and curiosity. It’s time to just BE. And that’s good enough for right now.  And by doing so, I think I will end up truly defining myself.

Do you ever feel this way?  Did you find a way to get out of the box you once tried to fit into?  Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment